Nonprofit Consulting Essentials
What Nonprofits and Consultants Need to KnowBook - 2010
"The relationship between consulting and nonprofits has never been more important. Both theoretically sophisticated and practically useful, Cagney's research will be of great use to anyone interested in improving nonprofit institutions, deriving the greatest benefit from consultants, and understanding what really goes on inside large organizations."
- Christopher McKenna , MBA program director and reader in business history and strategy, Said Business School, University of Oxford; and fellow, Brasenose College, Oxford, United Kingdom
"Everyone seems to have a different idea of what it means to consult or be a consultant, especially in the charitable sector. Finally, we have a book, Nonprofit Consulting Essentials, that really delves into the assumptions and truths and the roles and responsibilities of consultants."
- Paulette V. Maehara , president and CEO, Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) International, Arlington, Virginia
"This really is an essential guide to nonprofit consulting and capacity building in the current climate of dramatic and discontinuous change. Whether you are just entering the sector or looking to refresh your skills, this book is a must-read."
- Brian Fraser , lead provocateur, Jazzthink, Vancouver, Canada
"This book will be an important resource for nonprofit professionals who wish to become consultants and for those consultants who want to improve their craft."
- Patrick M. Rooney , executive director, The Center on Philanthropy, Indiana University, Indianapolis, Indiana
"If you're a consultant in the nonprofit sector, or if you retain a consultant-if you're even thinking about hiring a consultant-read Nonprofit Consulting Essentials. There's a lot of practical value packed into the pages of this groundbreaking book."
- Mal Warwick , founder and chairman, Mal Warwick Associates, Berkeley, California; and author, How to Write Successful Fundraising Letters
"I have been in the YMCA movement for 35 years and have used consultants for technology to financial development to coaching and more, but I have never truly understood the role and benefits of using consultants for nonprofits until I read this book."
- Gregory O'Brien , president and CEO emeritus, Valley of the Sun YMCA, Phoenix, Arizona